Method Community

custom Fields in customer table

Last post 10-08-2014 9:04 AM by v.cameron. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-04-2008 8:45 AM

custom Fields in customer table

Naveenskris submitted a question:

"Hi,

How can i make use of customfields in the table Customer in Method Integration,

I found some customfields in Customer table Customize--> Table/Fields section.

I've tried to insert some customer information using the WebMethod using webservice file service.asmx from my .aspx page..

The method name is MethodAPIInsert(sCompanyAccount,sUserName,sPassword,sInsertTable, arrInsertFieldsArray,arrInsertValueArray, ref intRecordID)

Here in arrInsertFieldsArray , i tried to pass CustomField2 with corresponding arrInsertValueArray .. But its not inserting the value in CustomField2

And also i want to know about this MethodAPIInsert function like, it accepts only array of string as arrInsertValueArray is an String Array.. How can i pass some field values like TotalBalance? TotalBalance datatype is Money..

so, when i tried to insert customer information along with this TotalBalance amount its not inserting because TotalBalance datatype is Money?...

so, plz give me solution for these questions..

Regards,"

Hi Naveenskris,

I’ve posted your question on our forum so this can benefit the entire Method community. We’ll have someone reply shortly.

Regards,
    Valbon
    Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 12-05-2008 7:56 AM In reply to

Re: custom Fields in customer table

Hi Naveenskris,

I'll do my best to answer your questions below:

"How can i make use of customfields in the table Customer in Method Integration"
    -The "custom fields" you are seeing in the customer table, are actually the custom fields found from QuickBooks.  There are up to 15 custom fields in QuickBooks that can be used by customers, vendors, employees and items.  If the field is in use, i.e. the QuickBooks user has activated it and given it a lable, then it should appear in Method with the actual label.  If the field is not in use, you'll see either "customfield1" or "hiddencustomfield1".

Unless you are already using these custom fields in QuickBooks, I suggest you simply make your own fields, of whatever datatype you like directly in Method, under Customize > Tables / fields.  This currently is done directly in Method, and not using the MethodAPI (not yet anyway).  The benefit is that you have as many fields as you like, and you can define the datatype, and once they are created they are exposed to the MethodAPI for read and write.

"Here in arrInsertFieldsArray , i tried to pass CustomField2 with corresponding arrInsertValueArray .. But its not inserting the value in CustomField2 "
    -If you are going to use QuickBooks custom fields, use the same label as you see in QuickBooks, not "CustomField2".  In the MethodAPI Documentation, check out the API call for "MethodAPIFieldList".  This will give you a list of the fields in each table, and the names of the fields.

"How can i pass some field values like TotalBalance? TotalBalance datatype is Money.."
    -Don't worry about the datatypes.  We do the conversion for you in the MethodAPI.  So if you pass a numeric value like Rate or Qty as a string, we'll convert it in the API to be numeric before it hits the database.
    -Fields like TotalBalance are read only. In the MethodAPI Documentation, check out the API call for "MethodAPIFieldList".  This will give you a list of the fields in each table, and whether or not the fields supports edits or adds. As you can see from the "Customer" table in TotalBalance is False for supporting edits or adds.

Also, as per the MethodAPI documentation:

"How do I get more information about the meaning of these fields and tables? The fields and tables from Method that come from QuickBooks conform to the QuickBooks SDK. You can visit http://developer.intuit.com/qbsdk-current/Common/newOSR/index.html and go through the OnScreen Reference guide to find out what is supported from each version of QuickBooks. "

If you go there, you'll see which QuickBooks fields are available for writing and which ones are merely calculated fields.

I hope that helps.

Paul

• 10-08-2014 7:58 AM In reply to

i'm having a similar problem to this.

I've added a custom field to the Item List called CuFt.   I defined this field as a Number in Quickbooks, but it is showing in the Method Database as a text.   I'm trying to create a calculated filed that multiplies the Quantity in the line by the Cuft and comes up with an Extende Cubic Feet per Line.  [Quantitiy] * [CuFt].   I believe I have defined the expression correctly, etc.. but there is nothing but blank space when the report is generated.

I've tested the Quantity Field [Quantity] + 1,  It works.

When I apply the same test to the CuFt field [CuFt] + 1,  I get a blank space.

My conclusion is that Method is not allowing me to  use a Text String in a quantitative expression.

Quantity Field is a Number

CuFt is a text string....can't change that.

What am I not getting here?

Joseph M. Klinow
    President
    Genesis Mannequins USA
  • 10-08-2014 9:04 AM In reply to

Its not really your fault, it is QuickBooks.  Those custom fields in QB are always text on the backend of the database, even if you "define" them as something else, like a number in QB.  

A better practice is to use an additional duplicate Custom field in Method, where you can REALLY define it as an integer. Do all your calcualtions etc in Method, and then write the final number back to the QB Custom field so it will appear in a QB transaction.  If you need to.  Sometimes you don't really.

Victoria Cameron
    vcameron@cloudconsutlancyllc.com
    www.cloudconsultancyllc.com
    650/209-0345

What is Method?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)